|“|| A human mutated by severe exposure to psy-emissions, usually seen near to the center of the Zone. Possesses good perception and the ability to control the behavior of less developed creatures with its altered neocortex. Mature specimens are capable of assuming direct control of several human brains at a time. This is a ferocious enemy, and even the most experienced stalkers are afraid of encountering it.|
- encyclopedia description
A human mutated by severe exposure to psy-emissions, usually seen near to the center of the Zone. Possesses good perception and the ability to control the behavior of less developed creatures with its altered cortex. Mature specimens are capable of assuming direct control of several human brains at a time. This is a ferocious enemy, and even the most experienced stalkers are afraid of encountering one.
- The Controller's main ability is to launch a psychic bolt that deals high telepathy/psionic-based damage to a stalker from a great distance. In addition, Controllers seem to generate a small psy-field that affects their victim's ability to aim, and causes anyone close by to slowly lose their mind. There is a high-pitched audio cue before the psychic attack actually happens, and avoiding visual contact with the Controller can prevent that from happening.
- In general, Controllers are extremely dangerous and should be eliminated as soon as possible due to their abilities that can cause instant death. The best way of doing this by taking them out at extreme range using sniper rifles, where they cannot retaliate, near cover where you can avoid their psychic bolts, or simply just using explosive ordnance - a controller will die from a nearby hit with a RPG-7u or 2-3 direct hits with a grenade launcher/hand grenades.
- The controller is slow-moving and begins his assault from a concealed location.
- The controller adversely affects the player's vision from range, which in severe cases may quickly prove fatal in its own right.
- The controller then approaches until line-of-sight contact is achieved and unleashes 'psy-bolts' that further weaken the already injured player.
- Very few bolts are needed to kill the player.
- Wearing several Ball of Twine or other artifacts with positive telepathic properties, significantly ameliorate the cerebral haemorrhaging experienced during such combat. Such objects may be in short supply early in the game.
- Hiding behind something and sniping the opponent without allowing him the opportunity to use his 'psy-blast' could be a strategy if the player has suitable telepathic protection.
- An effective strategy, if the player is able to close in quickly, is simply to knife the target repeatedly in the face. At close range the controller only has the claw attack for defense.
- As part of the Meet the Patriarch sequence, a controller spawns near Nomad's Belongings while the player is unconscious following the scripted Blowout.
- By closing the hut door after entering, the future enemy is limited to the confines of the hut and may be dispatched easily.