|“|| A paramilitary group known for its discipline, whose members live according to a strict code. Duty members are the only group to refuse to trade unique items from the Zone with the outside world. According to rumours, all artifacts found by the group are passed on to scientists. Its members consider protecting the outside world from the Zone's dangers their primary objective. Most of the group's operations concern destroying monsters, hence Duty raids often save normal stalkers from serious trouble. The faction has long been at war with Freedom.|
Duty was founded by former military expedition survivors and Stalkers concerned about the looming horrors of the Zone. They are one of the largest Stalker clans in the Zone. They have a strict military code (such as no smoking, maintaining one's weapons, etc...) and operate in a military fashion, using ranks like Sergeant, Major, Captain, General, ... . Their goal is to contain and destroy the Zone, fearing that it will spread to the outside world. They view the Zone as an ulcer in the world and their efforts are a way to excise it. They do this with blunt force by killing mutants, eliminating all who oppose them or exploit the free, and burning down or drowning mutant dens. They are neutral toward other Zone factions, save for the Bandits and their long-time nemesis: the Freedom faction. It is said that Duty also has deep connections within the military, specifically Spetsnaz detachments within the Zone, although they treat regular grunts with utter contempt.
- Most officers are issued their own armor range, consisting of PSZ 9d Duty armor, PSZ 9Md Universal Protection and Exoskeletons.
- A wide variety of non-NATO and NATO ordnance.
- For the article discussing this possibility, see the Joining Duty page.
- Referred to as Dolg (the Russian translation) in numerous places throughout the game, notably around the Arena.
- Forward planning is necessary if the player intends joining this faction.
- It will be necessary for the Sin presence in Cordon to be removed before the player takes the mission from Veles.
- Providing the Sin squad with the item from Sidorovich - and then exterminating them is insufficient; it's necessary to retire them right after the opening dialogue (gives the player a -550 point relation with Sin and makes them hostile from neutral)
- This has attracted criticism on some fora GSC Gameworld for not being a very clearly indicated Main Mission fork, nor particularly intuitive from the player's standpoint.